Biofloc Technology and Fish Farming Subsidy is considered as new “blue revolution” since nutrients can be continuously recycled and reused in the culture medium, benefited by the minimum or zero-water exchange BFT is an environment friendly aquaculture technique based on in-situ microorganism production. Biofloc is the suspended growth in ponds/tanks which is the aggregates of living and dead particulate organic matter, phytoplankton, bacteria and grazers of the bacteria. – subsidy for fisheries
It is the utilization of microbial processes within the pond/tank itself to provide food resources for cultured organism while at the same time acts as a water treatment remedy
How Biofloc Technology works?
- Biofloc system is a wastewater treatment which has gained vital importance as an approach in aquaculture.
- The principle of the technique is to maintain the higher C-N ratio by adding carbohydrate source and the water quality is improved through the production of high quality single cell microbial protein
- In such condition, heterotrophic microbial growth occurs which assimilates the nitrogenous waste that can be exploited by the cultured species as a feed and also works as bioreactor controlling of water quality.
- Immobilization of toxic nitrogen species occurs more rapidly in biofloc because of the growth rate and microbial production per unit substrate of heterotrophs are ten-times greater than that of the autotrophic nitrifying bacteria.
- This technology is based on the principle of flocculation within the system
How to Prepare the Inoculum?
Step 1: Take clean tub/can with 130 Litres of water and continue vigorous aeration
Step 2: Add 20 Litres of pond water/RAS water (before filtration) + 30 gm of carbon source (Jagerry /Wheat flour /Tapioca flour) + 10 gm of probiotic (with Bacilus Sp., Aspergilus Sp. etc with a total concentration of 10×109 CFU/gm)
Technical Specifications- 100 m3 (7 Tanks)
|Area for 7 tanks||200 m2|
|Biofloc Tank size||4 metre diameter and 1.5 meter height (1.20 m water depth)|
|Water holding capacity of each tank||15,000 Litres capacity|
|Water quality parameters||Dissolved Oxygen-5mg/L, Temparature-26-34°C, pH-7.5 to 8, TDS-600ppm, Floc density-25-40 mg/l, Ammonia-0.5 ppm, Nitrite-0.3 ppm, Nitrate-150 ppm, Alkalinity-120-280 ppm|
|Tanks Made-up of||Tarpaulin/Fibre/HDPE|
|Stocking density||100 nos/m3 (1000 no.s per 15,000 litres tank – depending on species )|
|Species cultured||GIFT Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus)|
|Type of feed to be used||floating pellet feed|
|% of feed||2-3% per Average Body weight|
|Feeding frequency||4 times early stage, later 2 times per day|
|Duration of culture||6 months|
|Size/weight of the species(gm)||500 gm average weight|
|No. of crops per year||2|
|Production||4.2 Tonnes per crop (600kg per tank per crop)|
|Farm gate price(Rs)||130/- kg fish|
|Capital cost||6.00 Lakhs|
|Total project cost||7.5 lakh|
Biofloc Scheme under PMMSY
An estimated investment of Rs. 20,050 crore for a period of 5 years from financial year (FY) 2020-21 to FY 2024-25 in all States/Union Territories.
Central Sector Scheme: individual/group activities are undertaken by the entities of central government including NFDB, the central assistance will be up to 40% of the unit/project cost for General category and 60% for SC/ST/Women category.
Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) : North Eastern & Himalayan States: 90% Central share and 10% State share. Other States: 60% Central share and 40% State share.
|Beneficiary oriented sub-components and activities|
|S.no||Sub-component and activities||Unit||Unit cost (Rs. Lakhs)|
|Development of inland fisheries and aquaculture|
|1.||Construction of biofloc ponds for brackish water/saline/alkaline areas including inputs of rs.8 lakhs/ha||0.1 ha||18.00|
|2.||Construction of biofloc ponds for freshwater areas including inputs of rs.4 lakhs/ha||0.1 ha||14.00|
|Technology infusion and adaptation|
|1.||Biofloc (50 tanks of 4m dia and 1.5 high) culture system. (No) 50.00 120 5.||(No)||50.00||120|
|2.||Biofloc culture system||(No)||25.00||120|
|3.||Biofloc (7 tanks of 4m dia and 1.5 high) culture system||(No)||7.50||121|